- Supportive Work/Life Balance
- $43.92 per hour (Including casual loading) (LGIA Stream B Level 5 + Site Allowance) + Superannuation
- Location – Rockhampton
Your new role
Rockhampton Zoo is seeking an innovative Zoo Keeper that has experience working with native and/or exotic mammals, birds and reptiles to join their team on a casual basis.
Successful candidates must have a high focus on animal welfare, exceptional husbandry skills and a passion for training and enriching the lives of the animals in their care. Delivering inspiring and engaging keeper talks and animal visitor interactions is something you enjoy while providing exceptional customer service.
Rockhampton Zoo is open to the public every day (except Christmas Day). Penalty rates apply where applicable, including weekends.
This position requires the completion of a satisfactory Criminal History Check - Police Certificate (Australia Wide Name Only Police Check).
What we are looking for
- Demonstrated experience in zoo keeping, including high welfare standards, relevant husbandry techniques, training, enrichment, food preparation and the ability to assist in conducting veterinary procedures.
- Excellent time management and customer service skills to ensure successful delivery of keeper talks and animal visitor interactions.
- Ability to work well within a team environment as well as work independently at times with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work well under pressure and problem solve.
- Ability to carry out your duties in a safe manner whilst ensuring the safety of your team members, animals and public.
What you'll get in return
As an employee of Rockhampton Regional Council, you will join a diverse and innovative team of more than 900 employees supported by good leadership, who proudly deliver services and make a difference to the lives of people living and working within the region.
- Supportive Work/Life Balance
- A large employer with a strong values driven culture
- A generous superannuation scheme – Up to 18% superannuation (conditions apply)
- Ongoing training and development opportunities
- Corporate membership discounts
- Payroll deductions and salary sacrifice options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness Passport and active social clubs
What you need to do next
To apply for this opportunity, please submit two documents:
1. A 2-3 page Cover Letter addressing the Application Criteria below;
2. Your Current resume.
- Tertiary qualification in Zoo Keeping (or relevant discipline) and/or substantial experience working with captive native / exotic animals including relevant husbandry techniques, food preparation, animal training and assisting with veterinary procedures.
- High focus on customer service and engaging the public in keeper talks and animal visitor interactions.
- Strong team player and the ability to display initiative in the workplace.
- Attention to safety with a focus on providing compassionate care to animals.
Please use Council’s cover letter template and ensure you clearly label each Application Criteria in your cover letter.
Click the ‘Apply’ button above to complete your online application.
Applications Close: Monday 12 February 2024 at Midnight (AEST)