- Fixed Term Full Time (Until April 2025)
- Monday to Friday, 76 hours per fortnight, 9-day fortnight
- $105,405 - $109,679 per annum (LGIA Stream A Level 5 + Site) + Superannuation
- Location – Rockhampton
Your new role
This exciting opportunity will provide support to the Zoo Director in the management of the Rockhampton Zoo, demonstrating a high degree of judgement, initiative, confidentiality and sensitivity. As a natural leader, you will be responsible for the operations of the zoo including managing staff and ensuring that the Zoo is maintained to a high standard for the community and providing exceptional care for the animals.
You will work closely with the Zoo Director and be able to provide expert advice on the operations of the Zoo, as well as be responsible for developing and delivering community education presentations, displays, information sessions and animal encounters to drive positive visitor experiences and maximise visitor numbers, positioning Rockhampton Zoo as a leader in its field.
This position requires the completion of a satisfactory Criminal History Check - Police Certificate (Australia Wide Name Only Police Check).
What we are looking for
- Tertiary Qualification in Animal Husbandry/Zoology and/or extensive experience in similar position in the Zoo industry, and extensive experience working with a diverse range of animal species.
- Strong focus on animal welfare and process improvement around zoo operations.
- Strong leadership qualities and supervisory skills to lead and empower a safe, positive and results focused team.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to problem solve, build relationships with all stakeholders, and provide the best customer experience.
- Ambition to ensure that all outcomes, targets and regulatory responsibilities are met with optimum efficiency and effectiveness.
What you need to do next
To apply for this opportunity, please submit two documents:
- A 3-4 page Cover Letter addressing the Position Requirements below;
- Your Current resume.
- Tertiary qualifications in Zoology (or relevant discipline) and/or substantial industry experience in a similar position.
- Extensive experience in the management of a diverse range of animal species, with a thorough understanding of procedures, statutory requirements, legislation and applicable standards in relation to a Zoo environment.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to identify opportunities and implement initiatives that improve visitor satisfaction and education.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build a high performing team through coaching, mentoring and positive leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to engage, liaise and work effectively in collaboration with other departments within a large organisation.
Please use Council’s cover letter template and ensure you clearly label each Position Requirement in your cover letter.
Click the ‘Apply’ button above to complete your online application.
Applications Close: Monday 19 February 2024 at Midnight (AEST)